In this episode Jessy and Rebekah thank Cole and Michael for being the first two emailers! We are so excited to hear from you so please, keep in touch with us! The girls also announce their first giveaway – clay vaginas made for us by @bettieblowup! Review us and get yourself one! Your favorite hosts in Vaginaland then tackle more issues surrounding sex education, or the lack thereof, in our school systems. Jessy comes at you with lots of incredibly interesting, and upsetting, facts that let us all know where we’re at in this country. Spoiler alert: on average we fucking suck at providing sex education. But listen to find out details because some of this will blow your mind. There’s some good news in there, too. And then, to wrap it all up, Jessy and Rebekah discuss all sorts of interesting facts that they never knew, like stuff about the deadly boomslang snake, an animal which is not to be confused with your boo-thang.
- Check out GLESN, an amazing organization founded in 1990 by a group of teachers who wanted to “improve an education system that too frequently allows its lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning students to be bullied, discriminated against, or fall through the cracks.” A lot of our information came from this organization and it is a very important resource for students, educators and everyone else.
- 00:35: WE GOT EMAILS!! Thank you for writing to us, Cole and Michael! Now where are the rest of you slackers?! We’re ready for ya!
- 01:35: We are developing a feminist reading list! Have a piece we should put on there? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “READING LIST”
- 01:45: Introducing….OUR MAILING LIST! Go to www.welcometomyvagina.com scroll to the middle of the page and sign yourself up! Keep up to date with all the haps. First email will be sent next week and you won’t wanna miss it!
- 03:10: GIVE AWAY ALERT! The first three people who give us (positive or constructive) reviews where ever you listen to our podcast will receive a clay vagina, made for us by @bettieblowup find her on Instagram, she’s rad. Leave us a review and all the stars and then send us your contact information to email@example.com and await your vagina!
- 04:40: Listen to part one of our sex ed series here where we talked to two awesome young women from Wesleyan University about their experience teaching sex ed to high school students all around Connecticut!
- 07:45: Here is an interesting article in Vox about consent culture by a sexual consent educator, Jaclyn Friedman. It uses the conversation around Aziz Ansari as the framework but we think it is more widely relevant.
- 08:30: Check out our episode on Incels here. And make sure to watch Jessy’s video here!
- 08:40: As Jessy said, there are no national standards for teaching sex education in schools, although the Trump administration did announce that the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program (TPP) – a grant program created under Obama that works to reduce teen pregnancy rates in the US – will only provide funding to organizations that promote abstinence-only approaches. Read about this, and specific state approaches to sex education, in this article from the Center for American Progress.
- 09:10: Here is a Snopes article that definitely says that soda (Coke in this case but I think we can extend that to include Dr. Pepper and Pepsi #science) is not an effective spermicide. Do not shoot soda up your vag.
- 10:15: Here is an article from The Atlantic that talks specifics about sex ed and how it includes, or excludes, the LGBTQ+ population. Well worth the read.
- 11:00: Check out uppercaseCHASE1 here. He is doing incredible work in providing a safe space for the trans community as well as educating family members and allies. We really recommend his 12-episode Trans 101 series that covers all different topics and is very informative.
- 12:20: Here is GLESN on “no promo homo laws,” what they are, where they are in effect and the ways in which these laws negatively impact students.
- 13:45: Three cheers for Washington State!! Here is information from the state government on the Healthy Youth Act!
- 16:35: For those of you in the back, here again is a link to our previous episode on sex ed. Listen! You won’t regret it.
- 16:55: Pam Stenzel is an awful woman. She made female students cry during a high school assembly by calling sexually active students impure and saying that she could “look at any one of you in the eyes right now and tell if you’re going to be promiscuous.”
- 19:05: Shelly Donahue is also an awful woman.
- 22:10: Here is the article from the Journal of Adolescent Health entitled “Abstinence-Only-Until Marriage: An Updated Review of U.S. Policies and Programs and Their Impacts.”
- 24:15: Yale did the right thing here by banning the frat for 5 years, but is that enough? Does banning a frat actually deal with the offensive behavior expressed by its members? Just some food for thought.
- 27:30: Send us your horror stories, and your “nah my school did it right” stories! We want to hear them! Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 31:45: We never want to meet a boomslang. And neither do you. You’re welcome.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Send us sex education stories!
- Also, we are looking for writers! Send us some sample writing please!
- Find us on Twitter @welcometomyvag
- Follow us on Instagram @welcometomyvagina
- Watch Jessy’s YouTube videos right here and don’t forget to subscribe!
- Read Rebekah’s blog and subscribe to get all the new content when it is written
- Check out the website, AKA Welcome To My Vagina HQ
- Check out all the other great podcasts coming your way from More Banana Productions
Subscribe on iTunes
Subscribe on Stitcher
Find on Player.fm
Listen on iHeartRadio